A common issue with braces is that they can rub against the inside of your mouth or lips, especially in the first few weeks. This can cause sore spots to develop inside your mouth.
The best way to treat this problem is with dental wax. A little bit of wax on your braces can act as a barrier between your braces and your mouth. This will protect your mouth from abrasion.
In this post, we’ll go over everything you need to know about putting dental wax on your braces.
How to put the dental wax onto your braces
To apply dental wax to your braces, follow these five simple steps:
- The first step is to wash your hands with soap and water. This will prevent bringing bacteria into your mouth.
- The second step is to clean the area of your braces where you plan to apply the wax. Usually, this is the wires at the back of your mouth or the brackets on your front teeth. So, using a toothbrush, remove any food debris from that area.
- Next, dry your braces with a tissue. By drying your braces before you apply the wax, it will help the wax to stick.
- Next, take a pea-sized amount of wax and roll it around with your fingers to warm it up. By warming it, you soften the wax and make it easier to apply. Don’t be tempted to use too much wax though, because big pieces are liable to fall off your braces.
- Finally, push the ball of wax over the part of your braces that is irritating you. Rub the wax a few times to make it stick. When you remove your finger, the wax should stay stuck to your braces.
Make sure to re-apply the wax every day, or even sooner if it starts to fall off. Also, don’t use the same piece of wax for more than two days because bacteria can build up on it.
Can I leave dental wax on overnight?
The answer is yes, you can leave the wax on overnight. In fact, it’s a good idea to leave wax on while you sleep. This is because abrasion injuries often happen while you’re asleep. And don’t worry about accidentally swallowing wax during your sleep, since swallowed wax won’t cause you any harm.
Can I eat with wax on my braces?
It’s best to take the wax off before you eat. This is because food particles can easily get stuck to the wax, at which point bacteria can build up on it.
Can I brush my teeth with wax on my braces?
You should take the wax off before you brush your teeth because otherwise the wax will get stuck in the bristles of your toothbrush.
Where can I buy dental wax?
Most pharmacies sell dental wax. Also, your orthodontist will be able to supply you with some. In fact, many orthodontists give away dental wax for free after they put your braces on.